- 1375gr pkg Maple Leaf Natural Bacon, ½ inch dice
- 2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into ¼ inch pieces
- 1medium onion, small dice
- 1tbsp garlic, minced
- 2½tbsp butter
- ¼cup AP flour
- 3½cups chicken broth
- 1⅓cup 2% milk
- 1cup cream
- ½tsp paprika
- Sharp or old cheddar, grated + extra
- Sour cream + extra
- Green onion, garnish
- Cook bacon in a large heavy bottom soup pot or Dutch oven for 4 to 5 minutes until just crisp. Using a slotted spoon remove onto a paper towel lined plate. Remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon render.
- Add butter and onions and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Sprinkle in flour and paprika and stir frequently until smooth, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir to coat. Pour in milk, broth and cream. Stir well to combine. Simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a fork – they should almost be falling apart.
- Remove pot from stovetop onto a heat resistant surface. Place an oven mitt on one hand and lay a clean kitchen towel tight over the pot with enough room to place a hand mixer or an immersion blender into pot. Mix on low to medium until desired consistency.
- Add cheese and sour cream and continue to blend for another 1 to 2 minutes or until ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ¾ of the bacon into the soup and stir well.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with remaining bacon, shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and green onion if using.
Bacon kitchen hack! Take the stress out of dicing bacon and try using sharp, clean kitchen shears.
Serve with fresh baguette and a small green salad.
Great make ahead! Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze in portions!